To play sports at a Division I or II school, you must graduate from high school, complete 16 NCAA-approved core courses, earn a minimum GPA and earn an ACT or SAT score that matches your core-course GPA.
Only courses that appear on your high school’s list of NCAA core courses will count toward the 16 core-course requirement; visit eligibilitycenter.org/courselist for a full list of your high school’s approved core courses. Complete 16 core courses in the following areas:
Division I and II
Complete 10 NCAA core courses, including seven in English, math or natural/physical science, before your seventh semester.
Grade Point Average Standards
The NCAA Eligibility Center calculates your grade-point average based only on the grades you earn in NCAA-approved core courses
- DI requires a minimum 2.3 GPA
- DII requires a minimum 2.2 GPA
SAT / ACT Standards
You may take the SAT or ACT an unlimited number of times before you enroll full time in college. NCAA will take either the best sub-score from different tests to give you your highest score.
Academic High School Timeline
- Sign up for the eligibility center.
- Start planing to take the right courses.
- Talk to your counselor and have them upload your official transcript to the eligibility center
- Keep track of our eligibility status
- Take ACT/SAT and submit your Score to the eligibility center
- Ask your counselor to upload a new transcript to your eligibility center
- Retake SAT/ACT and submit new scores (sub-score)
- Ask your counselor to upload your final official transcript to eligibility center